Aristides Esteban Hernandez Guerrero – Ares. He was born in Havana (Cuba) in 1963. He studied medicine at the University of Havana, graduating in 1987. In 1993 he graduated with a degree in psychiatry.
He published his first cartoon in 1984 in the magazine “Opina”. Since that day, his works have appeared in major Cuban publications and numerous publications around the world.
Ares participated in many humorous contests, in which he received more than a hundred prizes. He is currently the Cuban cartoonist with the most international awards in contests of this type.
He has also illustrated over fifty books and collaborated on television and animated films. The last eight cartoons from Filminutos studio based on characters from his cartoons.
He has conducted courses and conferences on the art of caricature in Cuba, Iran, Mexico, Colombia, Turkey, Canada, Finland, Venezuela and Spain, and has also organized several international caricature competitions in Cuba and abroad. He has repeatedly worked as an international jury in caricature contests in different countries, such as Mexico, Italy, Brazil, Cuba, Iran and Turkey.
In 1994, he was nominated by the specialized magazine Witty World for the title of the best cartoonists in the world. He was nominated by Cuba for the Quevedos Prize for Ibero-American caricature, was included in the Memoria project as one of the most important artists of the 20th century in Cuba and is considered one of the twenty most important cartoonists of the last century in Cuba (according to the study The Twenty of the Twentieth Century).
- Premio del Público,Trento (Italia 1991)
- Primer Premio Salón de Humor Piauí (Brasil 1992)
- Premio de Excelencia Yomiuri (Japón1993)
- Primer Premio Bienal de Gabrovo (Bulgaria 1995)
- Gran Premio Eduardo Abela, Bienal de San Antonio de los Baños (Cuba, 1997, 2001, 2005)
- Primer Premio Eurohumor (Italia 1998)
- Seis veces ganador del Premio al conjunto de obras en el Salón Nacional de Humorismo y ganador del Premio de Periodismo Gráfico Juan Gualberto Gómez, Cuba
- Primer Premio Bienale Internazionale Eurohumor (Italia 2004)
- Gran Premio Muestra Mundial de caricatura Valle de Aburra (Colombia 2007)
- Primer Premio Black cat cartoon contest (Azerbaiyán 2008)
- Primer Premio Ethiopia cartoons (Etiopía 2009)
- Grand Prix Kosova awards (Kosovo 2009)
- Grand Prix World Press Cartoon (Portugal 2012)
- Primer Premio Ranan Lurie United Nations Award (USA 2015)
- Grand Prix UYACC Anticoronavirus, Beijing (China 2020)
In 2002, the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Cuba awarded him a badge of distinction for national culture.
- Entrar por el Aro (Cuba)
- Cuba com Humor (Brasil)
- Gente de Meio-Tom (Brasil)
- Humor pelo Ares (Brasil)
- Psicoterapia, una relación de ayuda (Guatemala)
- Hooz (Irán)
- Mi psicólogo soy yo (Cuba)
- Alcohol, mito y realidad (Cuba)
- El Norte, el Sur y la Globalización (Italia)
- Ande el Sur (Cuba)
- Homo sapiens (Cuba)
- Ojos de Sur (Cuba)
- Historia del humor gráfico en Cuba (España)
- Caricatura cubana contemporánea I (Cuba)
- Caricatura cubana contemporánea II (Cuba)
- Caricatura cubana contemporánea III (Cuba)
- Ares, dibujos premiados (Cuba)
- Ares, Trazo consentido (Cuba)
- Ares, 100 awarded cartoons (Grecia)
- Tocar madera (Cuba)
Reference: Wikipedia, 2020