Cartoonist, critic, painter, illustrator, writer, educator
Born April 2, 1861 in the village Vishnevchik Kamenets-Podolsky region.
The artist of the magazine “Shards”
He received a fairly good general education, after graduating from the sixth class classical progymnasium, he knew French, German, Ukrainian and Polish. In 1876 he entered the Higher Art School under the Imperial Academy of Arts. He studied with BP. Willewalde and P.K. Klodt successfully, for drawing and landscapes was awarded silver medals.
The creative activity of the artist began before the end of education, in 1878. She was very diverse: painting, mostly landscapes, he considered the main view; in 1884 took part in the competition in the Society for the Encouragement of the Arts and for the landscape was awarded a prize.
From 1878 to 1906 he worked as a draftsman, cartoonist, illustrator and chromolithograph in the magazines “Scenic Review”, “Niva”, “World illustration”, “Nouvelist”, “Spring”, “Entertainment”, “Dragonfly”, “Shut” Shards “and others. Was the editor of the art department of the magazine “Niva” (1907-1918). A separate publication was published by Dal’kevich “Dead Souls” by N.V. Gogol (publisher AF Marx), “Caucasian stories” PP. Gnedich.
Since 1894, his articles on the history of art, painting, and monograph have been published. He was a regular correspondent of the magazines “Artist” (since 1894), “Art and the Art Industry”, “Science and Life” (1906), newspapers “Russia”, “Northern Courier” (1899) and other periodicals.
Simultaneously, the artist worked a lot in painting, from 1917 he was an active member of the “Society. Kuinji “,” Association of Artists “(1918),” Union of Artists “. His works were exhibited at exhibitions of these associations, at all jubilee exhibitions (1917-1927).
In June 1934, Dalkevich joined the Leningrad Union of Artists. His works were acquired in museums and private collections. His first-ever portrait of Lenin in paints (oil) was published by Gosizdat in a mass circulation in 1918, as well as a number of lithographed portraits of revolution figures (1923-1926).
A special page in his creative biography is the teaching of makeup art, the pioneer of which he became and brought to a high perfection. As early as 1890, he began teaching painting and theater make-up at the Theater School of the Alexandria Theater and all private theatrical schools that existed at that time (Pollach, Chita, Subbotina, Voskresenskaya, and others until 1906).
In 1916-1921, he was in charge of the make-up department in all state theaters, as well as the artistic and graphic part of the Museum of State Academic Theaters, combining this work with the leadership of the information bureau of the People’s Commissariat of Education (1918-1919).
From 1920 to 1929 he taught the makeup at the school of the Drama Theater (the Yury Yuryev Studio) and a number of private colleges. His activities in this field were highly appreciated in the theater circles. The State Academic Drama Theater applied for the award of the oldest master of personal pensions (1929): “Comrade Dalkevich was the first artist who worked in the make-up area and the first time teacher of this subject, and created a teaching program that was distributed to him and his students, and formed the basis for teaching makeup in theatrical schools and studios. A number of artists, masters in the field of makeup, are his students, such as Golubeva, Yavorskaya, Mironova, Yureneva, Stravinskaya, Ozarovsky, St. Yakovlev, Lebedinsky (author of the “Makeup Guide”), Khodotov and others. ” For his artistic, scientific and pedagogical activities, Dalkevich was awarded a personal pension.
In March 1929, Dal’kevich was invited as a freelance faculty teacher for the decorative and applied department of the painting faculty of the Academy of Arts (VKhTEIN), which was then run by M.P. Bobyshev. But the vacancy was not yet provided for this new discipline and its teaching ceased in the 1930s.
In the autumn of 1940, the Leningrad organization recommended him to the Union of Artists of the USSR. In the archive of the Union of Artists of the USSR, the last questionnaire completed by the artist on May 20, 1941, is preserved, where there is such a note: “Progressing heart disease does not allow me to not only work intensively, but also to go beyond the workshop.” He died in 1941 in Leningrad.